Super-Easy Key Lime Pie

Key lime pie is just awesome! If I could only have one dessert for the rest of my life, it would probably be this--and that's saying something because I know I really love ice cream! But there's just something about the zip of key-lime pie.

I pretty much stole this recipe from Emeril Lagasse on Food Network. He actually made the pie crust from scratch, but I prefer to cheat and use a ready-made pie crust. That's because when I want Key Lime Pie, I don't want to wait for it.

As a variation, try making different substitutions! Use oranges and lemons and even grapefruit if you like it... or maybe juice a watermelon (I just thought of that one--will try it this summer, sounds terrific!) . Other variations are to make two separate fillings and swirl them together, making a key lime/lemon pie, or a lime/orange pie, or a lemon/lime/orange pie! That trick makes an incredibly colorful and exciting persentation!

Use this recipe as a starting point, not a finish line!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Ready-made graham cracker pie crust
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk
  • 1 cup key lime or regular lime juice
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and eggs. Whisk until well blended and place the filling in the pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Once chilled, combine the sour cream and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie using a spatula. Sprinkle the lime zest as a garnish on top of the sour cream and serve chilled.

Comments