Homemade Hamburger Buns

Hey everyone! I'm back from a much-needed break! Thanks to all who voiced concern... next time I'll put a notice up on the blog before I go somewhere!

Look, I've been working with bread a LOT lately. Here's my latest move for homemade hamburger buns. These were so good and so easy to make, I don't think I'll ever buy hamburger buns again!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sifted white flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups sourdough starter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs poppy seeds

Directions:

Combine the white flour, whole wheat flour, and salt in a stand mixer. Add the sugar and the starter, and mix using a bread hook for about 15 minutes. Then let rest for 15 minutes and then mix again for 15 minutes. Remove from the bowl and let rise until it doubles in size. Knead the dough and let rise again, if desired.

Divide the dough into 8 parts and roll each into a nice round ball and slightly flatten. Let rise again.

Pour poppy seeds into a plate. Brush the tops of the unbaked buns with sunflower oil or butter, and then dip the tops in the poppy seeds.

Bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes. Let cool before serving.

Comments